Thursday, October 12, 2017

Another cloudy day for the drive.  Just down the road from where I was staying was the Dubois County Museum.  Another very large building and lots of local artifacts covering all aspects of the area including more dangerous animals.  In this case a very large polar bear that one of the locals apparently shot while on a hunt in the Arctic someplace.  I don't recall the history on the buffalo.

I particularly liked this huckster wagon used for selling merchandise to the rural & towns folk...a mobile Walmart!

They had taken this log cabin apart piece by piece and rebuilt it inside the museum!  This is where one of the museum volunteers cornered me and started telling me the story about knowing a lady that grew up in this house and that it was actually more modernized at the point they had taken it apart.  The interior had plaster and looked more like a modern house, but they took it back to its original look when they rebuilt it.

Here's a small part of the collection...


While going through Louisville KY I stopped at the Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory and took the tour.  They take you into the actual factory and the workers are there making bats while the tour guides tell you about it.  Up until 1980 or so they were hand turning the bats on a lathe, then they got a set of lathes that followed a pattern mechanically and today they use modern CNC computer controlled lathes.  They have a number of "historic" bats used by famous ball players in famous situations...but to be honest...they are all just bats to me.  They did have Babe Ruth's famous 60 home run bat that the Babe had notched for every home run.

I met Ted Williams while he was kissing his bat....

Arriving at the hotel in Paris KY, I found a mate for my jeep!

Getting pretty close to home now, only about 500 miles away.  Heading into Ohio toward WV and PA tomorrow.
https://goo.gl/maps/Hu5RSo6zhir

No comments:

Post a Comment