Saturday, October 7, 2017

With yesterday being a touring day, today was mostly driving.  I have come to the realization that 5 or 6 hours of driving is about my limit.  I could push it and do more but would not feel good about it.  At one of the "points of interest" I found the "homestead" home of Edwin Johnson, a Colorado state legislator, Lt. Gov., Governor, and US Senator.

Like most of these homesteads, there's not a whole lot of anything else around!

Craig CO had a Northwest Museum that I stopped and spent an hour or so at.  Very nice with free admission...although there is a huge donations box sitting right behind the visitor register!  I did meet a couple of desperados, Butch and Sundance...


and you had to be careful about the wildlife!


Lunch was at the Moose Cafe in Kemmerling CO.  I had a prime seat with the moose head right over my table!
I overheard some of the locals talking about driving to Kansas City from here and described the drive as Boring...that's the direction I'm headed....hmmm.

The scenery improved as I climbed the mountains toward Denver.  There were a number of areas where there was snow on the ground beside the road but all the roads were dry and clear.  

I stopped for the usual fuel up about a half hour out of Denver in a little town of Georgetown CO.  They had a nice visitor center and there was a Railroad Museum in town but I decided to keep driving.  The town is right in between two mountains.

Tomorrow I will head into Kansas with Hays KS as the destination.  Nothing special about Hays except that its about 5 hours from Denver. Route: https://goo.gl/maps/sVSnUQ75p4w 

1 comment:

  1. Butch and Sundance - cool... I liked the looks of Newman & Redford better... Hollywood! My mom and dad tried to keep day driving at 5 or so max too...
    KRD

    ReplyDelete