Thursday, October 5, 2017

It was a lovely day for a drive.  This trip started in Idaho, went into Utah then Wyoming and back into Utah.  The scenery changes were dramatic from forests to open plains (I expected to see cowboys driving a herd of cattle), to mountains and canyons.

Outside of Mountain Home ID there was the low lying scrub and hills although some of them had some type of tree that was turning redish orange that looked quite spectacular.  Photos never do it justice.
 I stopped at many of the historic markers along the way.  They tell the story of the people traveling here, mining, and homesteading.  This area is part of the many trails used by settlers making their way west.  Other markers tell of the geology of the area.



 I stopped for lunch in Fish Haven ID at Gladys' Place.

Gladys was just outside of Paris ID where I came across this LDS temple that just seemed out of place for such a small town.
There was a lot of driving through long stretches of landscape that I photographed but the pictures are boring ... its a case of having to be there I think.
I did stop at the Fossil Butte National Monument and toured their visitor center for a bit.

The last hour or so of the drive was in the Flaming Gorge area.  Here's a view from the Sheep Creek Overlook.  The sun was setting behind me and it made the view even more beautiful.

Tomorrow will be a visit to the Dinosaur National Monument for most of the day and then a bit of laundry!

No comments:

Post a Comment