Monday, October 2, 2017

We made the trip from Bandon to Eugene. Susan was a good sport about the jeep ride...it was pretty comfortable but the passenger space is small.  The obligatory stop at Arlene's Cafe took care of dinner. 

The B&B was very nice, C'est La Vie, in Eugene.  The proprietor, Jack, has his garden looking like Longwood Gardens (for the east coast folks) and Shore Acres (for the Bandon crew).  Everything neat and tidy and all the many plants were labeled.

Monday started slowly and got worse.  Susan's flight was delayed 2.5 hours out of Eugene although she still made the connection because they were delayed also.  The final connection, Detroit to ABE, was similarly delayed and as I write this she is still in the air on her way to ABE. 

I waited to be sure Susan's plan had taken off, so my start was delayed also.  The scenery through the Willamette National Forest was tree...tree...tree...(what did I expect right...) and lots of volcanic rock, rather unique compared with what I've seen before.  In the Deschutes Forest you can still see the effects of the big 2003 fire. 

Through most of the Ochoco Forest to John Day I did not have cell service although Susan and I managed to connect at key points on her trip.  I enjoyed seeing the changes in the nature of the different forests and in the volcanic rock formations.  It is difficult to capture the feeling of open space.  Cattle ranches and some farms were present all along the way and lots of "No Trespassing" signs and a golf course or two!

  I gave the guy buying something at the gas station a wide berth since he had a huge pistol strapped on his hip!  On the summit of one area there was snow in the woods in the shade and the temp was 42.

Tomorrow I think I'll make the drive a little shorter and try to stop at a couple of places along the way.  Route: https://goo.gl/maps/f3YoN4MYF762

No comments:

Post a Comment