Monday, October 9, 2017

I have to say that traveling the interstate highway is faster but a lot less interesting than local roads.  It was very windy for the better part of the day and I guess that's why the had the wind farm located along this stretch.  There were many many of these power generation windmills on the horizon.  You think the wind doesn't make much difference driving but I was averaging 19+ miles per gallon until this stretch and it went down to 16.2 miles per gallon!

I was simply making miles for the morning and then arrived in Independence MO.  (I'm not in Kansas any more Dorothy...but I did not see the yellow brick road either...)

First stop was the Harry Truman Presidential Library.  It was a great visit.  Harry certainly inherited a lot of things to make decisions about when FDR died.  The library is both a museum and a repository for his papers and personal artifacts.  I spent 2 to 3 hours walking through it and if you read everything and viewed all the films you could spend all day.  I even met Harry as he was campaigning from the back of a rail car on his whistle stop tour.

For my Philco phriends, in 1941, Harry and his wife Bess bought a Chrysler Windsor and the car had installed in it a Philco 800 radio.  
The above picture was in the display case in front of the Chrysler and I looked in the car and indeed there was a Philco 800 installed.  Here's a picture of one that is on ebay at the moment (asking $195), my apologies to the ebayer for using his photo but its the only one I could find.

When I pulled into my hotel and checked in after the visit to the Truman Library, I was followed in by a fire truck and ambulance.  Fortunately it must have been a false alarm as they left a few minutes later.



Tomorrow I make my way toward St. Louis stopping in Jefferson City to visit the Missouri State Penitentiary.  Its a tourist thing now with various tours including the opportunity to stay overnight!

Route:  https://goo.gl/maps/zkFaw92JR9S2

1 comment:

  1. Presidential Library must have been so interesting...
    KRD

    ReplyDelete